Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A little about me

If you ask my husband Jeff he will probably tell you that I have the most random thoughts. Late one night while watching a baseball game an idea was born. I don't know exactly why or how but I knew that we had to do this.

Jeff and I have been married since March 15, 2003. I was 19 and he was 20. No I wasn't pregnant just young and knew I wanted to be with him forever. About 2 and a half years after being married we decided that it was time to start a family.

After a year of trying on our own and reading every bit of information online and in any book I could get my hands on, I finally went and saw my doctor. I had read so much about fertility issues and I asked her to test me for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). She told me that she didn't think that I had it but she would order the tests anyway. She did the blood work and told me nothing came back suggesting I had any hormonal issues and she didn't think I needed the ultra sound to confirm.

6 months later I was back in her office still not pregnant and with cycles that were around 50 days long. I actually had one that was over 60 days. She finally told me that I should see my OB and gave me a referral.

First visit I went in prepared with my charts and my information. He listened and looked at what I brought and gave me a prescription for clomid to start with my next cycle. I did and on cycle day 3 I finally got an answer. It took probably less than a minute into that ultrasound for him to say that he was almost positive I had PCOS. I looked at Jeff and sighed. He ran more blood work and asked for the results my doctor had. Sure enough I had the same hormone levels that were consistent with PCOS and had she known what to look for I could have been diagnosed back then.

Since then I've had 1 surgery for ovarian diathermy and 4 IUI's. I have maxed out my insurance benefits so for now I wait.

After I was diagnosed I knew I needed some support from other women who were also having difficulty conceiving. I found a wonderful site that helped me through some hard times when no one around me could understand. That is also where I met my Midwestern twin Shannon. She and I were cycle buddies and for some unexplained reason we were so much alike in the way we talked and thought. We spent lots of time on the chat (while at work) and quickly became friends.

I must admit that I am not a very optimistic person but I will always say that everything happens for a reason. I truly believe that although difficult, this crazy roller coaster of trying to be a mom happened so I could meet my twin. I am incredibly blessed to have such an amazing sister to get me though all of this chaos.

Through this blog I hope that our voices will show our silliness and how 2 very different but yet crazy similar women think.

No comments:

Post a Comment